Built by Frederick II of Swabia starting from 1234, the Castle has a strict quadrangular plan with two of the corner towers still visible.
First used as a fortress, it later became the seat of the Aragonese sovereigns and the Spanish Viceroys, later a prison and barracks.
Today it houses the Catania Civic Museum and includes collections from various periods.
Duration of Visit: 1 h
Approximate Time Distance From the Port: 16 min. by foot.